Monday, April 03, 2006

Stop the Violence

The violence in Boston must come to an end. Unfortunately, I can't tell you all the answers. Maybe the police force needs more police officers? However, Boston already has a higher concentration of police officers than most major cities. Maybe the community isn't organized enough? I keep hearing things are different now than they were four or five years ago when murders in Boston were so rare they made headline news. Now, there are dozens and dozens of people being murdered in Boston.

I don't know how to fix it, but I know exactly what it's like to experience losing a loved one. I had a wonderful cousin, once upon a time, who had a best friend. Her best friend was going through a tough and abusive relationship and wanted it to end. My cousin stuck up for her and was shot in the head for it. It's a crazy world we live in. I've never been the same person since then; that experience truly changed me as a person. I didn't become cruel and want revenge. Instead, I truly realized the value of a human life.

People are valuable, every single one of them. I sometimes think that society cares less about the poor and minorities though. I don't think it's a conscious effort, I just think that's the way it is. People tend to only value what's either familiar or close to them. Consequently, I don't think most people in the Greater Boston area realize just what this means to the Hub. Boston is a great city, a city to be proud of - it must remain a safe city.

I'm getting sick of reading about the latest shootings in Boston. It makes me think of my cousin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a better man than me. I most certainly would have resorted to revenge. That calls for a "God Bless"...something I usually don't say.

About Ryan's Take