Small concessions - and new corporate welfare in the form of billions of government dollars going to HMOs - isn't going to cut it. We need to tackle the rising cost of health care and make sure that America, too, has a better quality of care, that's universal and costs significantly less per capita - like the rest of the freaking industrialized world. Single-payer isn't the only answer, but no answer is going to come without a high-quality government option for health insurance to introduce true health care competition as well as a high base of care available to everyone.
Some other health care reform items that should be non-negotiable:
- Doctors pick the treatments, not HMOs.
- No preexisting conditions should bar someone from getting private health care.
- The government should be able to negotiate the price of drugs for medicare, medicaid and any other government program.
- It's time for health insurance to cover necessary autism treatments, not public schools.
- Repeating for emphasis: we need a high-quality government health care option available to everyone.