Monday, May 18, 2009

Alas, I Lost

So, I just found out that I did not win the scholarship to Netroots Nation. It's a disappointment, but I knew it was an uphill battle. Despite the many qualified people out there with vast networks, radio shows, tv shows and nationally read blogs, it was your efforts that put me in at #5 in total supporters for Round 1. I can't express how damn thankful I am for all the time and effort people gave me in order to help me attend Netroots Nations. I so rarely ever ask people for anything, so it was nice to know that when I did, more than 90 people came through - friends, family and activists I've met across the state. That's not only amazing, it's inspiring. There is a whole new round of 10 more scholarships, but I'd have to start all over again for supporters. I don't think I'm prepared to harass all of you again, so I'm not going to actively campaign this time - at least as of now. I'll leave my "support me" link on the top right if you'd like to sign in/log in and show your support yet again.

Thank you all for bearing with me during this contest. It meant a lot. And, who knows, with 20 more scholarships being awarded, maybe I'll still somehow find a way to go.

3 comments:

Quriltai said...

That surprises me...it looked so good for you. I will say, I did see the top recommended MyDD diary as the contest deadline neared was somebody looking for backers...

Ryan said...

I tried to warn you I wasn't a shoe-in ;)

In all seriousness, though, I'm feeling a little more heartened since I've received a few more messages. I didn't get one of the first 10. There's 20 left. And someone from the Mass netroots community *should* be there. So I'm leaning toward giving it another solid shot. I can at least match the 90 I got last time around and show DFA that my support is durable.

Gladys Kravitz said...

Ryan, 'tis better to have run and lost, than to never have run at all...

And just look at all the folks who turned out! It's like the end of "It's a Wonderful Life!".

Keep up the great work! Scholarships and honors will follow...

About Ryan's Take